Friday, March 18, 2011

Commoditization Your Problem?

Do you sell corn, or sweet Jersey corn? Do you sell potatoes or Idaho potatoes?

Has the commoditization of your product or service got you down or is your inability to differentiate it from the pretenders holding you down? A few days ago, WCBS-AM Newsradio in New York, aired a feature by Ray Hoffman of the Wall Street Journal. Mr. Hoffman was reporting the thoughts of the CEO of Priceline about the complaint of commoditization, and its painful effects on profits.

The answer offered...differentiation.

Look, you sell either a piece of meat or sirloin, a bushel of wheat or a bushel of super fine, no toxins Kansas wheat, cars or Cadillacs.

You hit and run, or you are there every step of the way with your client from order to renewal. You sell "as is" or "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back." You make a difference in his success potential or it's "every man for himself."

If your product or service is above the pack, and especially if you own that reputation and it's verifiable, you can't be commoditized. You're different, unique and uncommon and so "Please Mr. Jones, may we discuss the value to you that I bring to the table? Because I promise you, it's very different than those you are comparing me to--like apples and...."

Here's a letter that one of our well trained, genuine and talented managers received just this week from a client:

From: Dawn M Richardson
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 1:06 PM
To: 'Tim Miller'
Subject: RE: Tim Miller Calling

Tim, I must tell you that I do believe that you are on my side. I don’t believe that I’ve just begun working with you but I have made a friend too. I appreciate your sincerity and honesty. I look forward to a long working relationship with you...

My guess is that Tim's price will be discussed, but without reference to another guy's price, because the other guy is not Tim. He's different, not a commodity.

Great Selling!

Love Your Work and Work Tirelesly
Communicate Honestly and Fearlessly
Serve, Don't Sell
Collapse Time
Teamwork


No comments:

Post a Comment